This is a podcast about dementia. It is also a story of corporate escape. You might even conclude that Helen transitioned from one area of consultation, in education to supporting care home with dementia training.
If You Like this Podcast, Then You’ll Like This One Too…
Try Episode 129 with friend of the Show Ian Donaghy “Big Ian” – https://thenext100days.org/129-ian-donaghy-becoming-an-inspiration
A Summary – Helen Johns
- An author and specialist in dementia care. Helen shared her story of how her life changed when her mother was diagnosed with dementia in 2012. She had previously worked in retail, special education, and as an education consultant.
- Helen’s mother showed early signs of dementia such as forgetfulness, difficulty with word finding, and misplacing things, but Helen didn’t recognize them as such. It wasn’t until 2012 when Helen took her mother to the GP that they realized it could be dementia.
- Her mother was admitted to a care home where she became increasingly distressed and bored. This led Helen to research and become involved in meaningful activities for people with dementia. This eventually led to a career change.
- Helen transitioned from being an education consultant to a personal activity coordinator for her mother who had dementia. She then expanded her work to other care homes, created a network and worked with local health watch. Eventually she delivered training to activity coordinators on a national basis.
- She shared her personal story of caring for her mother with dementia and how it led to her becoming a consultant in the care home industry. She expressed concern that care homes often prioritise operational success over the well-being of residents, and discussed the challenge of integrating the two.
- Helen shared her experience of caring for her parents in a care home and how it led her to write a book and become a consultant for care homes. Graham and Kevin discussed the importance of measuring the right things and challenging the status quo in care homes.
Get a Copy of Helen’s Book About Dementia
Clips from the Podcast
A Book Out of Water
10 Year Chunked Careers
Spotting the Signs of Dementia
Concerned About Care Homes
The Next 100 Days co-hosts…
Graham runs Finely Fettled to help organisations that want to market to affluent and high-net-worth customers. He also runs Meet Professionals, which is offered to financial advice groups as a white-labelled lead generation and conversion system. Contact Graham on LinkedIn: Visit Graham’s LinkedIn Profile and by email.
Kevin specialises in finance transformation and implementing business change. He’s the COO of GrowCFO which provide both community and CPD-accredited training designed to grow the next generation of finance leaders. You can find Kevin on LinkedIn and at kevinappleby.com