Daniel Okuniewski is a goalkeeping coach. He chatted with Kevin Appleby on LinkedIn and was invited to appear on The Next 100 Days Podcast. So, did he save the day in his first-ever podcast, or was the team knocked out?
Summary of Podcast
- Daniel was the goalkeeping coach for Queens Park Rangers.
- He is Polish and has worked in Lithuania.
- Daniel left his role with QPR to pursue a full-time career in business.
- We discussed off-pitch preparation and organisation in football, connecting the club’s strategy with on-pitch performance.
- The significance of talent development was discussed along with teamwork and the determination to succeed in achieving goals.
- Daniel stressed the importance of the psychological aspect in a player’s performance, particularly in football.
- Daniel emphasised the need to understand the players’ mindset and purpose.
Danish for Joyful Work
- Joy at work is the way to create a happy and inviting environment for players.
- We also discussed Daniel’s career in culture change and restructuring projects and his involvement with Bliss Hotel Group.
- At Bliss, he helped create a seamless customer journey for a new resort hotel in Southport.
- Creating a positive and engaging customer experience in the hospitality industry, focusing on warm greetings surprises and exceeding expectations.
High-Pressure Training to Make the Real Game Easier
- They also touched on the role of simplicity and preparation in high-pressure environments, using the example of a goalkeeper’s decision-making process.
- Daniel, Kevin, and Graham discussed the importance of managing stress and making quick decisions as a goalkeeper during penalty shootouts.
- They also emphasised the need for mental preparation, clear thinking, and relying on practised skills to increase the chances of saving penalties.
Daniel’s Standout Memory
- The discussion revolved around Daniel’s standout memory in his coaching career, where a goalkeeper expressed gratitude towards him after a game.
- They also discussed the challenge of creating a positive and enjoyable work environment
- This means emphasising the importance of finding aspects of the job that employees can like and building on that to foster happiness and productivity.
Support Employee Passions
- Daniel, Graham, and Kevin discussed the positive impact of creating a working environment that supports employees’ passions and interests.
- They shared examples of how investing in employees’ personal development, such as funding photography courses, led to increased loyalty, creativity, and career opportunities.
- Daniel, Graham, and Kevin had a conversation about the importance of passion, purpose, and people in various aspects of life, including sports and business.
Clips of the Podcast
Football and Business
Off-Pitch Purpose WHAT, WHY, WHO and WHEN
Training Based on WHO THEY ARE
Testimonial from Goalkeeping Coach Daniel Okunwieski
The Next 100 Days co-hosts…
Graham founded Finely Fettled to help marketers who want to market to affluent and high-net-worth customers. He is now the Host of The 2023 Alternative Investment Summit, featuring 22 providers of alternative investments. You can attend the summit for free. Get the All Access Pass to Register here: https://www.thealternativeinvestmentsummit.co.uk
Kevin specialises in finance transformation and implementing business change. He’s the COO of GrowCFO, providing community and CPD-accredited training designed to grow the next generation of finance leaders. You can find Kevin on LinkedIn and at kevinappleby.com